Pages

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Cozy Blankie!

I realised my one and a half year old son needs a new blanket, when I noticed his blanket is going missing in the middle of the night! He was using his sisters blanket (which I thought she was over it now!) Turns out she still wants her blanket and would happily take it back when ever she feels like it! fair enough, right?! So I added "New blanket" to my never ending list of things to make!


I got some cute fluffy snow like fleece fabric in blue and white, then I cut squares of the snow like fabric (sorry! not sure what they are exactly called! but you will know what I mean when you see them!) and sew the seams together (alternating the colour). The size of the squares really depends on how much fabric u have and how big you want your blanket to be... 


Here is a view of the reverse side:



Then I just had to add some embroidery to it and the first thing that came to my mind was a penguin!




 I would have liked to add some more but for my size blanket I think 3 is enough. For the backing I used a thick plain fleece fabric. With the right sides of fabric together, I went right around the blanket with a straight stitch and just left a 10cm opening for turning the blanket inside out. Then just had to pin the opening together and sew a straight stitch right around the blanket about 1cm in. That will help to keep the blanket in shape! I used a walking feet on the machine to sew the blanket. Since there are layers of thick fabric being sewn together, the walking feet will feed the fabric from the top as well as the usual feeding of the machine underneath. That will help to have an equal feed and will avoid lots of problems! If you use it once you get addicted to it!



 And here is the finished view. I am very pleased with the result, but if I was to make it again I would get more fabric to make sure I can have the correct grain of the fabric when cutting and sewing... The grain is all over the place here but I am sure my little boy won't really mind that! 


2 comments:

  1. This is adorable and the embroidery looks so special!
    Thank you so much for your comment on my jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carolyn for you comment! Your jacket did look very pro! You have a very special touch in your sewing :)

    ReplyDelete